Friday, August 20, 2010

Twinkies!


This past Monday Austin and I welcome some little twinkies into our home! :) They weren't the edible kind of twinkies...but they were cute enough to be. :) When we originally got them at PetCO, I wanted to make sure that they gave us only two of the SAME GENDER. They assured me that they did not allow any unauthorized breeding...so since we got both out of the same cage OF COURSE they would be the same gender. Right? Wrong. I had previously read all up about Dwarf Hamsters...including on making sure that new pets were actually the gender the pet store claimed they were. We got home...I checked...sure enough, we got - ONE BOY AND ONE GIRL! :) Silly me, but...so much for that unauthorized breeding policy. :) The hamster you see before you in her cage is the little girl hamster (Austin's) that he named Peach Pit. He wanted to name it Peachy, but she was darker than peach...hence the Peach Pit, or Peachy for short. I like to call her Princess Peach.

We house our little hamsters in separate cages now. Doesn't our little Princess Peach look cute nibbling away on her food?


Here is Austin taking a picture. We were so excited to get our little twinkies home! Little Bear is really warming up to me, and loves getting out of his cage. However, he isn't the most...energetic...hamster, and although he will try to run around and escape if we are holding him, once you put him in his little ball to run around in...he falls asleep. I think he looks at his ball and his wheel in his cage as hammocks. Silly boy. :)

Here is Little Bear again. Since he is the boy, we let him have the blue ball. Peachy got the orangey-yellow ball since she is the lady. :) Bear is having a little peek to make sure all is well before he ventured out into the big world! :)


Fortunately for us, he was a brave little guy and determined that we were safe. :)

Isn't he so cute?!

Disregard me, I just wanted to show you just how little these cute little hamsters are. Here you see Little Bear climbing up my arms, trying to make a quick break and easy escape. He's a regular Houdini!

Here's to happy hamster-ing! :)

7 comments:

Kristie said...

How exciting! They are cute little hamsters! Have fun with your new "babies!" :)

Amanda said...

okay....I would be scared...but I am glad you are so happy about them;) I have a rule of no rodents or reptiles in my house:) They scare me...they are like mice and will escape and run around. YIKES! I hope yours don't do that:)

Melissa said...

Don't worry Amanda, the cages are great, and they can't POSSIBLY get out...we made sure of THAT right off the bat, thank goodness! :) I wouldn't like them escaping and running around without my knowing about it in the middle of the night for sure!

Kristie, I'm glad that you thought our little hamsters are cute. :) They will only get up to about 3 inches long when they're full grown (they're almost full-grown now at 3 months). Our new little "babies" are going to be our source of entertainment for as long as they live! :)

Debi said...

Love the new look--I LOVE buzy bees! Maybe Little Bear needs a little lick of your thyroid medicine every morning at 8:30 a.m. :) The twins are adorable!

Shelly's Space said...

Cute Cute!! Josh has Hammie (such an original name)...hamsters are great pets! Have fun with your little kidos:)

Austin said...

Happy hamstering indeed! Lil Bear is sure warming up to you! Don't the pair make a great set of pets?! Love the bees!

Taylor said...

one word: Adorable!! I will have to come and see them before I leave!