Thursday, April 10, 2014

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

 Here is a picture of Claire that I took today right before laying her down for a nap this afternoon. Her beloved little bunny got a "bath" in the washing machine this morning, and she was so happy that it was all nice and clean! :)
 The reason for the quote as the title...well...it has been a CRAZY week. This sweet girl of mine fell backwards off her scooter on Monday afternoon and got a huge gash on the back of her head from falling onto the fireplace hearth. :( The gash bled like crazy, and let me tell you--even when you know how to treat first aid problems like this, it is WAY different seeing your own child bleeding so much. I held her on my lap in the bathroom to calm her down, and when I saw how much blood there was, all I could think was: "WHAT do I DO??!!!" Of course I grabbed a washrag, wet it, and held it to her head, but I was scared to see my poor baby get hurt like that. :( Of course I tried to get a hold of Austin right away, and when he didn't pick up (especially since he is still at a new job and can't get away as easily), I called my mom at work... "HELP, what do I do?" Thank goodness it was about 4 pm ( the time Momma gets off work) so she was able to come right over to help me. After doing some back-and-forth with Austin on the phone, I took Claire to an Urgent Care by our house. Sure enough ( as I thought), the gash WAS bad enough to need some extra patching up--FOUR staples worth of patching up.

The worst part was the numbing shot they had to give her. :( I guess that Claire is breaking Austin and I in when it comes to the many emergencies  and first aid incidents that come with childhood. Fortunately the scariness for Claire over the incident wore off rather quickly...when asked to show the doctor her boo-boo, Claire held out her finger (that got pinched in the drawer earlier this week). I guess when you can't see a boo-boo, it's just not as bad to a 2 year old (thank goodness). Tomorrow morning I take her back in to get the staples out, so I guess all is well that ends well (just not so great for my nerves). Hopefully we won't have any more incidents like this again any time soon. :)
 On the positive side of the week (the "best of times") :) I discovered my new favorite shower cleaner. The back shower in our house, no matter what we have tried, has a VERY difficult time staying clean. We are talking some SERIOUS scrubbing has had to go into the shower back there on a regular basis to keep it semi-presentable. Austin made a mixture of after-shower spray that works the best out of everything (bleach, typical household cleaners, scrubbing bubbles after-shower spray, magic eraser, we've tried them all), but there is always mildew building up in there...poor air circulation is the hallmark of our back shower, unfortunately. However, there is a cleaning tip that I had seen multiple times of Pinterest that I decided to give a try last night. It works GREAT! This is probably the best cleaner EVER. No joke. And it is super easy to make and use. I combined a dish scrubber from the store with these two ingredients:

And that's it. I combined equal parts Dawn soap and vinegar in the dish wand. With almost NO scrubbing, just basic wiping down with the scrubber at the start of my shower last night, EVERYTHING mildew-y disappeared. No buildup (or serious scrubbing of said buildup) of soap scum, or mildew to be seen. Nothing. Hallelujah for Pinterest pins that work!!! There are a few extremely bad spots that might take a little extra scrubbing every couple of weeks or so, but I will take this method of cleaning any day! :)  And no joke, it took one minute, maybe two minutes tops to use this, and then everything looked clean and fresh! I think I'm in love (sorry, Austin, haha!). :) Thank goodness for the internet these days. :)

Anyways, I'm hoping that the rest of our week goes uneventfully. :) I'm almost 30 weeks now, and am feeling pretty good. I'll have to post a baby bump picture here this weekend. Especially now that we named our little girl! :) Camille is kicking and dancing around right now as I type this. :) Only ten more weeks to go (hopefully!). :) I'm looking forward to meeting this sweet new little girl! :)

6 comments:

Kristie said...

Poor little Claire!!!! And poor Mommy! :( I am glad she is on the mend though. :) I have seen that shower scrubber on Pinterest but never tried it! I'm glad to hear its a good one! And hooray for having a name!!! :) Can't wait to meet her! These last 10 weeks will be done before you know it!!!

Amanda said...

Poor little claire:( that must have been so scary with all that blood. I sent u an email back about our old fireplace.
i told pierce and he was so concerned about claire! Pierce cant wait to hold camille;) neither can I;)
its hard to believe those staples come out so fast!
And thanks for sharing this shower trick. I am trying it on our shower floor in the master!

Shanna said...

Poor Claire! Seeing those staples made me cringe! It sure is hard as a parent to have to see our kids get hurt. I'm thankful these bodies of ours can heal rather easily and I'm so thankful for those people who study medicine and know how to take care of us.
Yay for that shower cleaner! I saw that on pinterest too and wondered how it worked--now I know! You're in the homestretch of your pregnancy--before we know it little Camille will be here! So excited!

Debi said...

You POSTED!!! Yea! I love the picture of Claire with her piggy tails. Great way to get a picture of the staples. :) I'm glad you guys weathered your first stitches-storm. Claire is on her way to teaching you all sorts of lessons....

Thanks for the post on the shower cleaner. I'm going to have to try it. :)

Debi said...

I just went back and made the pictures big and boy, that staple job doesn't seem like it is holding very well.... Is the wound open or does it just look like that in the picture?

Ansley Whitley said...

I'm glad Claire is OK. I think you were more worried than she was... At least she was happy and peppy when I came over. And... Camille! That is such a lovely name! I love babies! I can' wait to hold her and see her I'm so excited that you finally named her!