Sunday, November 4, 2007

Some Favorite Quotes

I am compiling a list of quotes that I really liked, and I thought---well--why not share them? I'm sure everyone would like at least ONE of them, so I thought that I would post some good quotes out here for anyone to see if they wanted to read them:

"Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things." ~Author Unknown

"Soul-mates are people who bring out the best in you. They are not perfect but are always perfect for you." ~Author Unknown

"If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me." ~Author Unknown

"Friends are kisses blown to us by angels." ~Author Unknown

"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies." ~Aristotle

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same." ~Flavia Weedn

"A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world." ~Lois Wyse

"A friend accepts us as we are yet helps us to be what we should." ~Author Unknown

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart." ~Elisabeth Foley

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares." ~Henri Nouwen

"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend." ~Plautus

"Silences make the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts." ~Margaret Lee Runbeck, Answer Without Ceasing

"It takes a long time to grow an old friend." ~John Leonard

"The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship." ~William Blake

"I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing." ~Katherine Mansfield

"Ah, how good it feels! The hand of an old friend." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"In my friend, I find a second self." ~Isabel Norton

"Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow." ~Swedish Proverb

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." ~Marcel Proust

"If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up." ~J.M. Power

"Life's problems wouldn't be called "hurdles" if there wasn't a way to get over them." ~Author Unknown

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~Author Unknown

"Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude." ~Ralph Marston

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." ~e.e. cummings, 1955

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." ~Edmund Hillary

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go."
~Dr. Seuss

"Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." ~Henry Ford

"Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers." ~Veronica A. Shoffstall

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."

"The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher." ~Thomas Henry Huxley

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." ~Henry Ford

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." ~e.e. cummings

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence but by oft falling." ~Lucretius

"Don't be discouraged. It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock." ~Author Unknown

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." ~Author Unknown

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." ~Earl Nightingale


The highlighted quotes were ones that I really liked. I hope that you liked them as much as I did (if you actually read this long quote-post...). Have a great day!! :)

Oh, and I forgot to add one of my favorite quote of all (it's a poem). Here it is:

"When gospel truth is gently sown
in my unlearned heart,
I hope it finds no hardened crust
on wayside paths apart.

Nor even drops on softer spot
with hardness just below,
Where faithless, poorly rooted sprouts
are doomed to never grow.

I pray it shall not fall in dirt
where thorns have made their bed.
Where choking plants, 'mid worldly cares,
grow fruitless, nearly dead.

But let that seed find fertile soil
in deep and clean abode,
And drawing life, yield true and full
to Him who gently sowed.

~Anonymous




5 comments:

Debi said...

Great quotes!!! I love quotes, too!

Amanda said...

I love quotes too:) When I was a teenager I had a quote box. I had all my favorites on note cards and divided in to themes--like friendship/gospel.........I don't know where that box is now?!

Amanda said...

Oh yeah I want to see a picture of this shopping backpack!

Kristie said...

I loved all of your quotes!!!! I hope you are enjoying school!!! It was fun to talk to you the other day! I miss and love you.

David and Stephanie Blake Family said...

Melissa those first quotes would've been great for the book!! But I loved them; they remind me of stuff you would say!!
CALL ME!!
Leah