Saturday, September 22, 2007

Look Out World, I'm Learning How To Fence!

I know this probably sounds pretty crazy to you right now, but I spent my morning today learning how to fence. Here at BYU-Idaho they have a fencing club! You don't have to pay anything, and they supply you with all the equipment that you need, such as a fencing jacket, a fencing glove, a helmet, and a foil (I just call it a sword...). Anyways, Darci and I rolled out of bed this morning to get to the athletics building at 11 this morning, and spent over two hours learning how to fence, and practicing fencing with other people in the class. It was soooooooooo fun! I learned the four basic parries (defenses) against an attack, and how to lunge, and and how to advance and retreat, and how to do an advance lunge. SO FUN! My arm hurts so bad right now, and my hand feels like it's going to be all cramped up tomorrow, ,and my leg hurts really bad, but that is just because I'm not used to it yet. Whew! That was such a fun experience! All those guys better watch out now, cause I'm armed and ready! Haha, just kidding. But they give classes every Thursday night and Saturday morning, and I'm definitely going from now on. Today was the first day, and I loved it (well, not the soreness, but everything else) :) I'll keep you posted on my lethal talent as it progresses (haha). This is so neat! Momma says that now I'll be like that girl on Ever After (a Cinderella movie) and be an amazing sword fighter. Maybe so!! We'll have to see as time goes on... :)

7 comments:

Kristie said...

That sounds like lots of fun!!! Yep, all those boys on campus had better watch out~ you are armed and dangerous!! J/K :) I can't wait to hear what you learn next week!!!

Debi said...

Fencing sounds fun but I still say you ought to go to the boys apartments and have a cookie scavenger hunt (it seems to me that it's a safer way to meet boys!) :)

Amanda said...

If you can post a picture of you with your fencing sword next time:) P would love to see that!!!!! Thanks for all the posts I have enjoyed every single one! I still can't really believe your gone.....I don't think it will sink in till our next family dinner. But I am so glad to hear you have great roomies and are having fun!!!!

Jenny Jensen said...

do you know what else are a lot of fun? The classes they have at the Hart building! They have excercise classes for free (most everything is free). Have you been to the gym yet? I think they are doing construction on the gym so i don't know what kind of condition it is in. You should get a picture in front of Thor the Viking (the school mascot) it is in the hart too. how are your classes? Do you like your teachers?

ProudDaddy said...

I wish that I had known that you would have liked to fence so much. Well don't you worry, Im sure that I can see to it that you can tons of time to work on the fences here at home next summer.
Im sure the guys there will get the point to all this.

Melissa said...

Oh brother, daddy. You know what "fencing" means, and it doesn't mean painting fences, or whatever you are implying...You're so silly. :)

Melissa said...

Yeah, Amanda, I will get a picture next time that I go. I will be doing another class soon (on Thursday right after swim practice), and I'll make sure to take my camera and see if I can get a pic of me and Darci w/ our "fencing suits" on... :)